Saturday, August 27, 2011

Butterflies


With Irene due to arrive early this evening, we spent the day preparing: riding bikes, playing on the swings, riding the green truck, and going for a walk. Typically one or more of these activities is in our normal day, what was not however is an umbrella. And it is three umbrellas that Matteo was carrying when the accident happened.



Having just rounded the corner and on the homestretch of our walk, Chloe May told me she needed to use the potty - so I quickly handed Matteo the three umbrellas and scooped Chloe May up and we started to hurry home. Matteo must have either tripped over my umbrella or the sidewalk because next thing I know he is bleeding (pretty heavily) and crying. Thinking it was not so bad, that the blood had Matteo more scared (shame on me), I brushed it off (I know shame on me) and told him to come on home. We put two band-aides on it and he was good as new (see it really didn't seem so bad). Well when I went to bathe him 4 hours later imagine my surprise to see just how deep the cut was. I called in Daddy who questioned an emergency room visit - so we called our Dear Neighbor (who came over in what was the start of Irene) - and she said it was very borderline and a butterfly stitch might do him well - but because of the weather, etc. a butterfly band-aid would suffice. So Daddy went to our local CVS (who ironically were opened) - and we butterflied (spelling) Matteo's cut with some gauze and tape. Ironically in the 4.5 years that Matteo has been there I have no large stock of band-aides until tonight :-)  

Though Matteo's knee is a bit swollen and there is some dry blood he is still running around the house as normal and as I sit and type this (a day later) he is doing cartwheels.  Disaster averted - though I am still feeling hugely guilty over not taking his cut more seriously - I'm telling you next paper cut I'm taking out the needle and thread myself :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.