Saturday, August 20, 2011

Low Tide

Today we had the most gorgeous experience of visiting a new (to us) local beach that we had only heard of and saw pictures of.

Yes that's right, visiting this beach during low tide is amazing - you find so many sea creatures that get stuck in these tide pools, as well as how far out you can walk into the water. Simply amazing.



Another first for us, we were introduced to "clamming" - again something I had never experienced, only heard of.  Well clamming is just as it sounds, you go digging or wading in the water and look for clams (muscles too).  Well as the tide began to turn and started to come back in, we hit the motherload of clams!  Nothing to write home about in terms of size, however large enough to enjoy at dinner!  Daddy had his first raw muscle with Mommy's prompting - followed by two and three!  Matteo enjoyed two as well on the beach, and Mommy tried one, spit it and and tried another which I just swallowed (yes I heard the porcelin bus calling me in my head).

So the whole time we were at this beach I decided we would stop at the local fish market and get some .... SEAFOOD for dinner, sort of come full circle with our "beach" day.  No need, with all the clams and few muscles we found, we $aved - and came home, cleaned, steamed and enjoyed our days hard work.




These clams were so delicious once steamed, Matteo just stood next to me as I was chopping them eating them!  haha I had to "shoo" him away.  Hey a penny saved is a penny earned.  We found a recipe for some clams with linguine, made a sauce and ... it was enoyed by all (not Chloe).  A full day and a tiring one :-)

I suppose my only disappointment came that evening when putting matteo to bed and him asking.... "When are we going to have the seafood that we caught today"..... clearly he didn't realize I had paired the seafood with the linguine in his dinner....... :-)  Thinking I can cut our food bill and become a seafoodarian (is there such a word). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated.