Thursday, February 10, 2011

conclusion

Today after school Matteo came home with the mailbox that he made all filled with valentines - and more candy than this 4 year old has seen in his life! You can see the joy on his face after being promised 2 pieces.



And dinnertime was filled with photos of Matteo and



Chloe May (who I think is trying to smile like her big brother).



I met with Matteo's teacher after school to continue our conversation on Matteo and his swatting the little boy Tuesday in school. I said in my heart I don't believe Matteo to be mean or malicious, but rather after observing him briefly in school on Tuesday (unbeknownst to him) - I feel as though Matteo wants his friends attention but does not know how to get it. The teacher said, after our little meeting Tuesday, she agrees 100% and came to the same conclusion on her own - even expressing same to the boy's mother on the phone. Neither of us believe Matteo to be mean, rather incredibly impulsive and wanting his friend's attention - because the teacher said these two boys play beautifully together most of the time.

Also, on a day Matteo is to bring his book into school for show and tell, the teacher said she cannot believe Matteo doesn't qualify for speech........ :-) [comment reserved].

And so one (hopefully) final preschool update. Today before school I decided to write the little boy who Matteo has now kicked (early January) and hit (not hard - Tuesday) a note to let her know I am aware of the situation and am working with Matteo on good touch vs. bad touch at home, etc. I mean really she doesn't know me as she does not drop off her child or pick him up, so I wrote a note, apologized for everything and included my phone number. Well imagine my surprise when she called and we had the loveliest of lovely chats. Seems as though her son speaks of no one in the class BUT Matteo whom she considers to be her son's best friend! She told me all of Matteo's likes and dislikes (scooby & spiderman made the like list) - went on to tell me her 3 year old son is hitting at school and completely understands and was just as nice as the day is long. Truly appreciated her phone call and afterwords felt as though I had finally stepped off this roller coaster and retired to bed by 8 PM - truly emotionally exhausted. I feel as though I figured out why Matteo swats at this boy (because really that is all it is) - he wants his attention. So now I encourage Matteo to get his attention by saying "let's go play" and flashing a 180 watt smile. Fingers crossed for next week at preschool.

2 comments:

  1. Wow he got lots of V day cards!! Did he get ours? Katelyn got yours and loves it and the piggy tatoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good mommy going above and beyond! I'm so proud of you :) I told you it would be ok. That mother seems pretty cool and maybe you'll get a great friendship out of it!

    Oh BTW wth is that teacher talking about Matteo's speak she should shut her mouth and leave it to the experts!!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.